Seven ways to increase your energy

Keep exhaustion levels in check and put a spring in your step with these energy boosting ideas from The Fit Pharmacist, Holly Louise.

If you find yourself feeling tired mid-afternoon, struggling to stay alert throughout the day, or just straight up exhausted, you are not alone!

With our increasingly busy lifestyles, more and more of us are suffering from low energy, fatigue and all the problems that come with being chronically exhausted.

Fortunately there are some really simple ways to boost your energy levels – and often all it requires are some small changes to our daily routines.

1. Focus on nutrition

The best thing you can do for your body is to eat according to your goals. It is essential that you eat the right balance of protein, carbohydrates and fats each day to effectively fuel your body.

Pre and post workout nutrition is exceptionally important as well and can help you get the most out of your workouts and assist in recovery.

In terms of food selection, it’s a good idea to follow the 80/20 rule to maintain overall balance. This means getting 80 per cent of your nutrition from whole, minimally processed, micronutrient dense foods and using the remaining 20 per cent for more processed or “junk foods”.

This will ensure that you obtain enough vitamins and minerals (micronutrients) in your diet, which may help to improve energy levels and overall vitality.

2. Stay hydrated

Did you know that one of the first signs of dehydration is feeling tired or exhausted?

Not drinking enough water may be the culprit behind why your energy levels are low and you feel exhausted.

Don’t just drink water when you are thirsty! Make an effort to sip on water continuously throughout the day, with more around training times.

3. Move your body everyday

Incorporating regular exercise into your routine will help boost energy levels. Burning calories and engaging in physical activity sends oxygen and nutrients to the cells of your body, which helps your heart and lungs work more efficiently.

You don’t need to be a gym junkie or run a marathon to reap the benefits – moderate levels of activity will help increase energy levels and reduce stress and tension. It all adds up!

4. Optimise your supplementation

The perfect health and fitness regime includes a balance of four things: a healthy diet, an appropriate exercise program, sufficient rest and recovery, and optimal supplementation.

However, many people underestimate the benefits of supplementation on optimising energy production and improving nutrition status.

Just make sure you ask these four important questions before embarking on any sort of supplementation program.

5. Make sure you get enough sleep

Sleep is the most important factor for recovery and energy production. Ensuring that you get an adequate amount of sleep will assist mental health, hormone balance, and muscular recovery. Aim to get between 7 and 10 hours each night.

6. Don’t let stress control you

We often feel like there is nothing we can do about stress, but we have a lot more control than you may think. Stress management allows us to take charge – of our thoughts, emotions, lifestyles, and the way we tackle problems.

No matter how stressful life is, there are strategies you can use to relieve the pressure and take back control. These include identifying the causes behind stress, using relaxation techniques, improving sleep quality, prioritising task lists, learning how to say no, staying active, eating healthy and reaching out for help when you need to.

7. See your doctor

If you have optimised everything above and are still struggling with constant fatigue, you may be suffering from an underlying medical condition. Anaemia, diabetes, depression, anxiety, thyroid dysfunction, and hormonal problems are all common causes of fatigue, so it is important to see your doctor if you suffer from prolonged tiredness.

As fatigue is often associated with a vast range of symptoms and its causes are often multi-factorial in nature, diagnosis can be difficult. Your doctor may diagnose fatigue using a number of tests, including a physical examination, clinical tests and a medical history analysis.

Been sick over the colder months and not sure whether you should keep exercising through illness? We’ve got all the answers right here.


Holly Louise, aka The Fit Pharmacist, is a registered pharmacist, certified personal trainer, online coach and ambassador for INC Sports. Through evidence-based nutrition and training methods, Holly Louise helps others create healthy and sustainable lifestyle change. Holly Louise is also a champion of flexible dieting and positive body image and has created a large community of women who support and empower each other to become their best selves.
Find out more about Holly Louise on Instagram, Facebook and at The Fit Pharmacist.