- 2 tbs coconut oil, grass-fed butter or ghee
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 long red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 bunches of broccolini, trimmed
- 1/2 fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 200 g (2 cups) chopped kale
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Zesty Tomato and Avocado Salsa
- 200g mixed cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 avocado, diced
- 3 tbs extra-virgin olive, avocado or macadamia oil
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 small handful of coriander leaves, roughly torn
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Melt your preferred cooking fat in a large ovenproof frying pan over medium–high heat, add the garlic, chilli and red onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes until the onion has slightly softened and caramelised. Add the broccolini and fennel and continue to cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until softened and lightly browned. Add the kale and sauté for 2-3 minutes until it begins to soften. Remove the pan from the heat.
Whisk the eggs together in a bowl along with the cumin, ground coriander and a pinch of salt and pepper until light and fluffy. Pour the egg mixture into the pan, transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the frittata is set. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly.
While the frittata is cooling, make the zesty tomato and avocado salsa by combining all the ingredients in a bowl.
Season the frittata generously with salt and pepper and cut it into wedges, then divide among plates and serve with the salsa. Dig in!
TIP: If you love chorizo you can easily add it to this recipe – just cut a bit into small pieces and throw it into the pan when you sauté the garlic, onion and chilli. It’ll give you some extra protein and healthy fats, bulking things up a little for those looking for a heftier feed.