- 250 g (1½ cups) fine polenta
- 1½ litres water
- 2 tbs olive oil, plus extra for oiling
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 pinch chilli powder
- 600g (2½ cups) drained tinned kidney beans
- 300g (2 cups) drained tinned sweetcorn
- 200g (1 cup) tinned chopped tomatoes
- 250g (1 cup) tomato passata
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 1 handful coriander, torn
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine the polenta and water in a large ovenproof pan with a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer, stirring frequently, about 20-25 minutes or until the polenta stops bubbling and has thickened. Take care as the polenta will initially spit and bubble. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer the polenta to a bowl using a rubber spatula and cover the surface with an oiled piece of plastic wrap.
Wipe the pan clean. Heat pan over medium heat. Add olive oil, onion, celery, garlic, and a pinch of salt, and cook for 7-8 minutes until vegetables have softened. Add the spices and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the beans, sweetcorn, chopped tomatoes, tomato passata, and a splash of water. Bring to a rapid simmer. Reduce to a gentle simmer until thickened, stirring from time to time, about 20 minutes. Season to taste.
Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan).
Spoon the cooked polenta on top of the chilli, spreading it out with a wet spatula or palette knife. Sprinkle over the nutritional yeast. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden-brown on top and bubbling at the edges.
Remove from the oven and let the pie stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions, chilli, and coriander. Serve.