- 2 large eggs (free-range, organic)
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 3 tbs rice malt syrup (or honey)
- 225g (1 1/2 cups) plain (all-purpose) flour (or coconut flour)
- 5 tbs sugar, or stevia
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 small cooked beetroot (beets) (available in vacuum-sealed packs), chopped
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) skim milk (or oat milk)
- 1 tbs butter, for frying
Option 1: Coconut topping
- 2 x 270ml tin Ayam coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 2 tbs rice malt syrup (optional)
- 300g (2 punnets) mixed berries
- 2 tbs shredded coconut
Option 2: Vanilla cream
- 85g (1/3 cup) cream cheese
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seed scraped
- 2 tbs Greek-style yoghurt
Option 3: Chocolate
- 2 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tbs rice malt syrup
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- Fresh berries (optional), to serve
Start by making the pancakes. Whisk together the eggs, vanilla seeds, vanilla extract and rice malt syrup. Set aside. Sift the flour, sugar (or stevia, if using) and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
Using a blender or food processor, blend the beetroot with the milk until you have a smooth consistency. Add to the egg mixture and stir together until totally combined and smooth. Add the egg and beetroot mixture to the flour. Whisk until smooth.
Melt a knob of butter in a frying pan over low heat. Put about 3 tablespoons of batter into the pan, cooking for a few minutes or until bubbles begin to form on the top. Check the pancake is firm underneath before flipping over and cooking for a further couple of minutes. Repeat with the remainder of the batter.
When cooked, transfer the pancakes to a serving platter. Choose which topping you want to have. Makes 12 pancakes.
To make the coconut topping, take the tins of coconut milk out of the fridge and remove the hardened cream (about 135ml), putting it into a bowl. Stir the cream until it softens. Serve the pancakes, drizzled with the rice malt syrup (optional) and topped with the cream, berries and shredded coconut.
To make the vanilla topping, mix together all of the ingredients until well combined and smooth. Serve on top of the pancakes.
For the chocolate topping, whisk together all of the ingredients until well combined and smooth. To make the sauce runny, zap it in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Drizzle on top of the pancakes when serving and top with the berries (if using).