- 2 cups rock salt or uncooked rice, for lining the baking tray
- 1 dozen fresh oysters, in the shell, shucked with lid on
- 8 tbs salted butter, softened, divided
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbs finely chopped chives
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Chopped fresh parsley, to serve
- 4 wedges lemon, for serving
Preheat the oven to 220C and create a layer of rock salt on a rimmed baking tray (or substitute dry, uncooked rice. This will keep the oyster shells from wobbling).
Discard the top shells and arrange the oysters with their liquid in the prepared baking tray.
In a fry pan over medium heat, melt half of the butter, add the panko crumbs and cook, stirring, until the crumbs are lightly browned.
In a bowl, combine the remaining 4 tablespoons of softened butter with the chives, lemon juice, and the lemon zest.
Top each oyster with a scant teaspoon of the butter-and-chives mixture and then sprinkle each one with the buttered panko crumbs.
Bake the oysters in the preheated oven for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until the oysters are cooked through and the topping is golden brown.
Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley and serve with lemon wedges.