- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3 dried chillies, broken into pieces if more heat is desired, otherwise, leave whole
- 4-6 tinned peeled plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1kg frozen green lipped mussels, defrosted or fresh
- 1/4 cup fish stock
- 2 tsp sugar-free fish sauce
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, torn into small strips
- 1/2 tsp salt and ground black pepper to taste
Heat a large heavy pan (ideally one big enough that you can fit the mussels in one layer) over medium-high heat until nice and hot. Add 1-2 tablespoons of the oil and swirl well to coat. Add the garlic and toss for 30-45 seconds until fragrant and beginning to soften. Add the chillies and continue to cook until garlic is light golden brown and the chillies are toasted.
Add the peeled plum tomatoes and cook 3-4 minutes until liquid is slightly reduced. Scrape the mixture into a bowl and reserve.
Return the pan to the hotplate and heat over medium-high heat. Add remaining oil to the pan and then the mussels, tossing and searing the shells until most mussels are starting to open, about 2 minutes. Add the stock and fish sauce, toss and then add tomato mixture, continuing to cook. As soon as the mussels are open, remove from heat and toss in the parsley. Serve immediately.